Best Coil Tattoo Machine for Beginners Guide
I can’t remember of anything that I have wanted more except for tattoos. From the time I was twelve, I was fascinated by tattoo.
As such, the only thing that I wanted for my 18th birthday was a tattoo. So when my mom, got me my first tattoo coil machine, I could not hide my joy.
My desire to learn how to make tattoos was insatiable. There was nothing I wanted more. Thankfully, the best coil tattoo machines for beginners worked wonders, and today, I have a tattoo shop of my own.
I know that there are many people out there who share the same love for tattoos. If you are one of those guys, learning how to work tattoos with professional coil tattoo machines will be a cool experience.
What is a Coil Tattoo Machine?
This is a tattooing machine that electromagnetically pushes the tattooing needle in vertical motions by the use of coils. When this happens, the armature bar continuously retracts as the needle repeatedly injects tattoo ink onto the skin tissue to give you the desired image.
In A Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
Pros and Cons of Coil Tattoo Machines
Coil tattoo machines aren’t bad. Nonetheless they have their downsides too. Here are the pros and cons of these machines.
Firstly, because coil machines use springs, they can only do one job at a time. They can either line or shade, but not do both.
On the other side, these coil machines are less expensive. This is when compared to the rotary machines.
Nonetheless, they tend to get worn out really fast. This is because they weigh more and vibrate much too.
While that may not be that bad, the fact that they require frequent adjustments and maintenance compared to rotary machines isn’t that good.
Getting the best professional coil tattoo machines depends on how best the machine suits your needs. To determine that, focus on the following factors before you buy.
Most often, a good frame will determine the durability of the machine. The best frames are designed from metallic alloys. Such durable metals include iron, zinc, and brass among the others.
- Coils and wrap
Apart from the frames, you should also check on the coils and wraps. A higher number of wraps will give you better flexibility and an easy time. If you are a beginner, focus on a machine with at least 8 wraps.
A good capacitor will handle more power and longer working hours. Look for a model that can work with at least a 50V of liner capacitor spring. This should give a reliable machine. Look for the best tattoo machine coils info on the user manual.
With a strong spring you get enough recoil. You also get the best tattoos and a highly reliable machine. A 0.5mm thick spring will work well for a 50V of liner capacitor spring. This can be a great option to work with.
What do you need the coil tattoo machine for? Which type of work? Do you need it for practice and learning process? By determining the types of requirements/ needs that you have, you will get the perfect fit machine. This will prevent any loses too.
- Quality and material
A coil tattoo machine is an investment. Therefore, you need it to have the best return on investment. Going for a machine that’s made of quality materials such as cast iron armature bar, CNC billet frame, and solenoid valve technology will be cool.
No one wants to buy what they cannot afford. The same applies on coil tattoo machines. As such you should buy a coil tattoo machine liner and shader that you can afford. Prepare a personal budget and shop around it.
6 Best Coil Tattoo Machines on The Market
In this post, therefore, I have sampled out some of the top-rated coil tattoo machines on the market. My intention is to help you to start.
These models that I have reviewed will give you the best springboard. In addition to that, I have also included other additional tips that’ll play a critical role in the choice that you’ll make.
Take a look at what I have for you.
Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit Starter Coils
One of the best coil tattoo machines for beginners is the Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit Starter Coils.
These tattoo coil machines come in a set of 6 pieces. They are comprehensive and complete. As such, they include three different shading machines and three lining machines too. One thing that blew me away was the flexibility of this kit.
- Dragonhawk General Tattoo Kit: All-in-one solution for tattoo beginner or intermediate level of tattoo artist in the stage of learning tattooing for over one year but less than three years At this stage, a tattoo artist may have already mastered the basic techniques and be able to create some simple tattoo designs They needs to constantly learn and practice to improve their skills and level, as well as gradually develop their own style and reputation.
- Customized Tattoo Pen Motor: This tattoo machine features a powerful custom motor and an advanced gear system that guarantees reliable, quiet operation without any vibration. The Mast machine has a working voltage of 6V–9V, ergonomic, lightweight pen-style machine. Pebble modeling. Made of Space Aluminum frame and custom Mast motor. Length: 11.7CM. Weight: 120g
- Tattoo Cartridges Needles: Patent shell design. Increase ink storage, Absorb inks faster, Injection average. Special silicone rebound membrane. Made by medical grade LG PC. Lowest tin solder, innovate medical PC material connect needles. Popuar cartridges all over world tattoo artists.
- Versatile Use: This tattoo kit made for lining, shading, color packer, blend and SMP hair scalp.
- Tattoo Kit Advantage: This tattoo pen machine work best with the 2A output Airfoil tattoo power supply, this kit research and build up by our brand pro team, it used in many studios for tattoo & smp. This tattoo power box gives you effortless adjustments with an easy-to-use one touch knob, lightweight and compact; great for traveling artists, easy to wrap, protect, and keep clean
It comes with kit 10 wrap coils. These can be used for both lining and shading. More importantly, they are power efficient.
Their working voltage ranges between 7V and 10V. The frame of this machine is also made of very high quality iron which makes it durable. The construction also gives it a special surface treatment and a beautiful appearance.
While this is the case, it is lovely to know that this machine is also lightweight. It has low vibrations and can work for extended period of time. In short, you can enjoy its work without necessarily getting worried of being tired.
For people who are looking for a reliable tattoo coil, this is a model to rely on. Thanks to the inbuilt short-circuit protection that makes it much more efficient.
The model also enjoys the best leakage protection that gives it a safer and powerful tattooing technology with accurate voltage adjustments.
- Maximum pieces of coils (6pcs)
- Great power efficiency with voltage between 7V and 10V
- Works for both lining and shading
- Light in weight and ideal for extended use
- Low vibrations with better control
- Comes with limited color inks
TIP: Best if you want to improve your machine handling technique, reliability and also efficiency. Thanks to its smooth consistent operation and power output, that gives it an edge above the others.
Thomas Coil Tattoo Machine and Gun Brass Frame
Thomas is one of the best coil tattoo machine brands. It has been around long enough and is loved by many artists. The brand is also ideal for various tattoo jobs and comes with several tools to choose from.
The Thomas Coil Tattoo Machine and Gun Brass Frame is one of these tools. This tattoo coil is reliable.
Its frame is made of brass. This means that the machine is not only reliable but also durable. The use of the casting technology in this machine also enables it to work efficiently.
It will create simple and smooth lines that’ll blow you away. Nonetheless, the best features don’t end there.
This machine also offers up to 8 wrap coils set that can be used for both lining and shading. This technology is combined with a 50V of liner capacitor spring that maximizes the best efficiency too.
Thankfully, when I tested this coil I noticed that it had higher flexibility and elasticity too. The contact screw is also not easy to wreck and will, therefore, last longer.
There are convenient adjustments, stable working speed, and better power efficiency. Due to this, you can easily use this tattoo coil machine for close to 8 hours non-stop.
- Durable and made out of brass.
- Comes with 8 wrap coils for liner.
- Lightweight and can used for long.
- Does not overheat even when on a nonstop spree.
- Has smooth and consistent run cycle.
- Comes with a six month warranty.
- Needs anti-rust oil to prevent any form of corrosion.
TIP: This is the best machine for any artist that needs a hard hitting liner with a smooth touch. It is also ideal if you are looking for a machine that will not overheat on extended use.
Solong TMK647C-1Tattoo Kit Complete Rotary Coil Machine Guns
Solong TMK647C-1Tattoo Kit is also one of the best coil tattoo machine liners. The kit includes one rotary machine and also one coil machine.
These are for lining and shading. Even so, Solong TMK647C-1Tattoo Kit is a pro rotary machine. It has quality 10w motor that drives the whole system. The machine is also powerful and quite when in use.
- Single newest rotary tattoo machine for shading and lining,powerful strong 10w motor,easy to control the big size needle.
- There are 20pcs needles, the size are 3RL,5RL,3RS,5RS,each size with 5pcs. One thing: the machine can be cantact to power supply with DC cord or clip cord, so we just put it random, you will receive anyone of these two.
- 5 high quality popular colour inks,new dispoasble silicon grips and more accessories for practicing.
- CE certification, one year warranty;Please keep the machine working under 12V to protect the rotary system,motor and power supply.
- Ink are only used to practice，Tattoo on human skin is better to buy professional ink.
However, it is the machines package that many die for. The package comprises coil tattoo gun that has 10 warps copper coils. This guarantees a higher flexibility if compared to many other models.
In addition to that, the machine is also stable when in use and strong. It comes with 28 bottles of tattoo inks each of different color.
As such, this gives the artist an additional leverage to experiment. The bottles of ink colors are each 5ml in volume and will give you the best spring board.
Don’t worry, you’ll also get a power supply, clips cord, and a foot pedal. More importantly, you’ll have 50pcs of tattoo needles and many other tattooing accessories.
On my side though, it is the one year warranty and the CE certifications that does the trick. The two makes this coil kit the best for newbies.
- Comes with a CE certification.
- Has a one year warranty.
- 10 warps copper coils.
- 28 bottles of tattoo inks each of different color.
- Quality 10w motor that drives it.
- Must work under 12V to protect its power supply.
TIP: Solong TMK647C-1Tattoo Kit is best as a starter-pack. Thanks to the 28 popular practice tattoo ink colors that it comes with. They are bright and safe for any newbie to gain their grip on tattooing.
Artistry Fire Red Cast Iron Liner Tattoo Machine
Another one of the best coil tattoo machine on the market is the Artistry Fire Red Cast Iron Liner Tattoo Machine.
The machine comes in a cool coffin case that triggers a wave of imagination. More importantly, the machine is also has a bold dark color for a gothic touch.
This machine is simply awesome for any seasoned tattooing artist. So what more does it have to offer.
Well, there is the zinc frame that gives it the best durability. The construction style is a handmade design that’s unique and ideal.
The machine is also recommended for both lining and shading. It is best for anyone who requires a compact kit with maximum potential.
Nonetheless, like any other model that we’ve seen, this one also has coils that are made of copper wire. There are 10 wrap coils that make the machine highly reliable.
The machine is also power efficient and works with a voltage range of between 3V and 10V. The armature bar material is made of pure iron with a spring thickness of 0.5mm.
The bar has an excellent magnetic conductivity with a reliable output for anyone who needs to work for long.
With its red and black color, this is one of the fiercest models that you’ll get for an awesome tattoo coil machine model.
- Excellent magnetic conductivity.
- Machine is also power efficient.
- Armature bar material is made of pure iron.
- Recommended for both lining and shading.
- Zinc frame that gives it the best durability.
- Best for extended tattooing sessions.
- Comes with a slightly complex user manual.
TIP: This machine is perfect for any tattoo artist who needs a good quality work and a top-rated tattoo machine. It also has easy tattoo coil machine parts in case you need a replacement.
Redscorpion Cast Iron Liner Coil Tattoo Machine
For the best professional coil tattoo machines, the Redscorpion Cast Iron Liner Coil Tattoo Machine is a model to reckon with.
This model is made of cast iron. This is evident from the onset. As such, the model is very reliable. It is also durable and offers an excellent electrical and magnetic conductivity.
Upon using this coil machine, you’ll realize that it creates very simple and smooth lines. It is, therefore, ideal for quick work and also detailed tattooing.
- Hawink tattoo pen machine is carved by aircraft aluminium alloy enclosure. 35mm aluminium alloy sleeve.Rotary pen tattoo machine with German FAULHABER Motor,strong power, super stable,Pretty quiet - low noise, it is quite easy to master.
- Hawink hybird tattoo pen is designed to give you the closest feeling to the actual pen. This machine features a powerful motor and exquisite appearance,Light weight, super stable, It is the first choice for tattoo artists.
- Weight: 128g( 0.28lbs). Stroke: 3.3mm. RCA Cord connection.Start voltage: 4 V ,Stitch Frequency:25 -160 Hz,Continious operation.Smooth, soft, and quiet operation,Ideal healing results.
- Operating Voltage:5-10V,The max operating voltage is 10V. Don't run it higher than that or you'll overheat the motor and cause mechanical wear.
- Package include one rotary tattoo machine and HAWINK RCA cord.
Thankfully, the frame is also cut and again processed by the high precision line. The guarantee of a high level accuracy is, therefore, not in doubt.
This models works better unlike the other manual machines that’ll leave you with a margin of error.
More importantly, the machine offers up to 8 wrap coils. It also has a brushless motor that’s prevents any form of overheating.
As such, the model will guarantee a stable working speed and reliable strength at any given time. You can depend on it fully if you want to learn how to tattoo.
- High accuracy
- A stable working speed
- High strength for up to 8 hours of nonstop work
- No overheating due to use of brushless motor
- Light in weight/ portable for use along trips
- Solenoid valve technology
- Strong magnetic absorption
- Comes with limited hues to choose from.
TIP: The Redscorpion Cast Iron Liner Coil Tattoo Machine is best for seasoned artists who want to maximize their accuracy. The machine is good at preventing any form of dimension error when in use.
Dragonhawk 2pcs Brass Coils Tattoo Machine
Apart from being affordable, this machine is arguably the best coil tattoo machine liner and shader.
The Dragonhawk 2pcs Brass Coils Tattoo Machine comes from one of the most reliable brands. It is also on point and will leave you with a top-rated experience.
So what makes it tick? Well, one thing is the CNC cut billet brass frame. It makes this machine reliable and long lasting.
The frame is strong and quite exceptional when it comes to working on the most complicated designs.
In addition to that, the machine is also fitted with a standard tube vise. This is a good way of ensuring high level accuracy and result.
The machine offers 10 wrap coils for shader and 8 wrap coils for the liner. It is very efficient on how it consumes energy and will work between 7V and 8V.
More importantly, the machine also has one of the best ergonomics. It’ll fit well in your hand and give you a smooth ride all the way through.
For people who need the best coil tattoo machines for beginners, this is a model that you can go with. While it is easy to use, it is also simple to learn and comes with a comprehensive user manual.
Along the frame is a logo that gives the originality and quality of the design. This is another reason why many people love this model too.
- CNC cut billet brass frame.
- Frame is strong and quite exceptional.
- Fitted with a standard tube vise.
- 10 wrap coils for shader and 8 wrap coils.
- Light in weight and ideal for long hours.
- Ink must be bought separately.
TIP: For beginners, the Dragonhawk 2pcs Brass Coils Tattoo Machine is a cool machine. It will improve you accuracy and develop the strength in your hand. Eventually, it’ll leave you with the best control.
How does a Coil Tattoo Gun Work?
Learning how your coil tattoo gun works will make your work easy. While there could be a slight difference on how these machines work. Most commonly the concept of how these tattoo machines work is often the same.
Coil machines use two coils, a spring, and a foot pedal or switch. The coils are made of wire and set on a frame. The coil tattoo gun buzzes and vibrates once the artist plugs it in and powers it on. In turn sends electric vibrations through the machine.
As this happens, the motor triggers an up and down movement of the tattooing needle. The needle will move a few millimeters in and out and shade. Thanks to the springs and coils.
Expensive Versus Inexpensive Coil Tattoo Machines
I have seen many cheap tattoo machines, and I am guessing that you have too. From a personal experience, cheap models are not as reliable as the high-end handmade models. As such, if you need a great coil tattoo machine to invest in, you should be ready to part with some good amount.
However, beginners may need something to practice with. This means that they can opt for something cheap. Even so, they must understand that cheaper models tend to get damaged faster.
Their frames are made of cast metal alloys too.
Coil Tattoo Gun Setup: Customizing your Machine
Before using your best tattoo coil machine liner, make sure it is properly customized. To do that right, you should focus on the following.
- Needles: Check that the needle you are using is the right one for the job.
- Rubber bands: Get the rubber bands in the right setting.
- Operating voltage: The voltage is adjustable and should be setup in range.
Proper machine customization is very critical. If you do it right, your machine will last longer. Additionally, the tattooing process will be easier. Just make sure that you read the user manual too.
Tuning On your Coil Tattoo Machine
Your coil tattoo machine will not work unless you turn it on. To turn your machine on, here is what you should do.
If you have a coil machine gun, plug the cord into the power source then switch it on. The electricity will turn on the motor, which then triggers the movement of the armature bar.
Coil Tattoo Machine Types
For tattoo artists, there are many types of coil tattoo machines that you can choose from. However, that depends more on your tastes and preferences. As such, you can choose any of the following.
- Soft shader
- Color packer
- Conventional liner
- Power liner
Before you choose the best tattooing coil machine make sure you evaluate your needs. It is also important to understand your level of expertise.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What Are The Most Professional Brands Of Coil Tattoo Machines?
There are quite a number. Personally, I prefer Dragonhawk. However, a brand that’s offers the best value on its price should be good enough.
- Is A Coil Tattoo Machine Best For Me?
Yes. If you want something cheaper to start with, you can opt for a coil tattoo machine as opposed to rotary tattoo machines.
- What About Coil Tattoo Gun Voltage?
Most voltages are best between 3V to 10V when the gun is in use. This will prevent any damage to the coil. However, voltages are adjustable and that’s the best part.
With so many tattoo coil brands, it is not easy to choose the best coil tattoo machines on the market. Even so, a little help will go a long way.
Once you have the right knowledge of what to look at, you’ll find an easy time. Hopefully, that’s what my review has offered you today.
I guarantee that if you follow the tips that I have given you, getting the best coil tattoo machine liner will be no brainer at all. You’ll have the chance to work with the best models and learn quickly.
More importantly, you’ll also enjoy an easy time and some of the most affordable buys. For an artist who is just begging, a smooth learning process is very important.
As such, you must focus on getting a tattoo coil machine that will give you that. Look for a light model with a brushless motor.
Such a model will not overheat. It will also leave you with longer practicing hours. Otherwise, good luck with your practice.